A Stroll Down Pharmacy Memory Lane

A Stroll Down Pharmacy Memory Lane

This past fall, the College of Pharmacy completed a visual timeline, which has been erected along one major hallway in the R.C. Wilson Building. This timeline spans more than 25 feet with 29 factual historic copy points, along with photographs and even displays of molecules discovered by College researchers through the years. In this issue, we highlight the history of our Deans and leaders at the College.  

1903: UGA authorizes the establishment of a School of Pharmacy, housed in UGA’s Science Hall. Dr. Samuel C. Benedict, a local physician, is appointed as the School’s Chair of Materia Medica.

1914: Robert C. Wilson becomes Director of the School of Pharmacy following the death of Dr. Benedict.

1924: Robert C. Wilson becomes Dean of the School of Pharmacy.

1948: Dr. Kenneth L. Waters becomes Dean of the School of Pharmacy.  He stands later with Dean Howard C. Ansel (left), former Dean Robert C. Wilson (center), and Waters during the dedication of the Robert C. Wilson Pharmacy Building.

1977: Dr. Howard C. Ansel (third from left) becomes Dean of the School of Pharmacy. Dr. Ansel stands years later with his grandson, Stephen, (second from left) at his graduation.  Also included are current Dean Kelly M. Smith and Ken Duke, former faculty member.  

1991: Dr. Stuart Feldman becomes Dean of the College of Pharmacy.

1999: Dr. Svein Øie (right) becomes Dean of the College of Pharmacy. He stands in a UGA Pharmacy Laboratory with Dr. Michael Bartlett, Associate Dean for Science Education, Research and Technology.

2018: Dr. Kelly M. Smith (BSPharm ’92, PharmD ’93) becomes Dean of the College of Pharmacy.


Why Pharmacy at UGA?

Ranked in the top 24 of pharmacy programs in the country by US News & World Report, UGA Pharmacy is at the top of its class. Learn more below:

Start your Pharmacy Journey

Apply Today Get More Info