The 136-member PharmD Class of 2023 celebrated their Commencement on May 6th before an audience of almost 2,000 family members, friends, fellow students, faculty, staff, and preceptors. Dr. S. Jack Hu, UGA’s Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, conferred degrees, and keynote speakers included Dean Kelly Smith ‘92, ‘93; Dr. Sarah Adam ‘23, Class President; and Dr. Lori McGinley, President of the College of Pharmacy Alumni Board. Student awards were presented by Dr. Michael Bartlett, University Professor and Associate Dean for Science Education, Research, and Technology, and Dr. Lori Duke, Assistant Dean for Experience Programs; and Dr. Andrew Darley, Director of Professional Education led the Oath of a Pharmacist. Dr. Duc Do, Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, presided over the event.
Remarked Dean Smith, “Members of this class entered the PharmD program filled with anticipation for four years of intensive immersion into pharmacy studies – on campus! While the COVID pandemic could have caused a massive derailment, the Class of ’23 persevered and produced outstanding results.”
Highlights of these results include:
- Average GPA of graduating class: 3.49
- 60% of students graduating with honors (GPA ≥3.6)
- Two students recognized as First Honor graduates (GPA 4.0)
- 74% secured employment or other postgraduate opportunities PRIOR to graduation
- Residencies: 60 graduates
- Residency Match Rate: 91%
- Fellowships: 4 graduates
Other statistics about the Class of 2023:
- 96% Georgia residents
- 58% completed pre-pharmacy work at UGA
- 15% were first-generation college students
Orientation for the incoming P1/Class of 2027 will be held Aug. 9-11, with the White Coat Ceremony scheduled for Aug. 12. UGA classes begin Aug. 16.